Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Link to a Wonderful Newspaper Article

My friend, George, just sent me a link to a piece by this year's National Book Award-winning author, Colum McCann ("Let the Great World Spin") which pretty much sums up why any of us struggle to understand "Ulysses" or any other finely observed piece of fiction.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/opinion/16mccann.html

The piece was published in the New York Times on this year's Bloomsday - July 16 - the day in 1904 when James Joyce set the action of his novel and the day which Joyce lovers all over the world re-celebrate his confounding, but magnificent, work.

As I count down the pages until I am finished with "Ulysses," reading this article gave me a correction to my mean-spirited approach. Newly inspired, I read on.

No comments:

Post a Comment